Source: Sweet as Honey
Prep + Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 200 g Grated Carrots packed + 1/2 cup tap water to cook
- 75 g Grated Cheese
- 2 Eggs
- 3 tablespoons Almond Flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt if desired, optional
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Wash, peel, grate, and measure the grated carrots.
- Place them into a bowl cover with 1/2 cup tap water. Microwave 2-3 minutes
- Drain and place the cooked grated carrots onto a clean absorbent paper or towel.
- Firmly squeeze out the extra water until the grated carrots don’t contain any water. You can also pat dry the cooked grated carrots between two sheets of absorbent paper to prevent too much moisture. This is a crucial step. If the carrots are too moist, the tacos won’t hold.
- Place the carrots into a bowl with grated cheese, eggs, almond flour, salt, and pepper. Combine until it forms a batter.
- Prepare a baking tray covered with baking paper. If your paper tends to stick to food, you can spray a little oil on it to prevent the shells from sticking to the paper. Set aside.
- Divide the whole batter into 5 even portions (1 portion makes 1 shell, and I am using a mechanical ice cream scoop tool to divide the batter evenly. Place each portion of carrot batter onto the tray, leaving about a 3-thumb space between each.
- Press each portion of batter with your finger to compact the carrot onto the tray as a flat circle. The thinner, the crispier they will be!
- Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 15 minutes or until crispy on the sides.
- Gently remove the carrot tacos from the baking paper by lifting them from the side, using your finger or tongs.
- Eat warm, filled with the filling of your choice.
- If you want to create a taco-like shape, cool down the shells onto a small bottle or any cylinder shape.
Storage: store the carrot taco shells on a plate covered with plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out. They will soften when cold.
Freeze: Freeze the baked taco shells in an airtight plastic bag or container. You can add a layer of parchment paper between each taco shells to prevent them from sticking together. Defrost in a warm oven within 3 minutes
Cooking carrots without a microwave: Bring 1/2 cup water to boil, add the grated carrots, and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and pat dry on absorbent paper before adding to the batter.