Source: Country Living
Prep + Cook Time: 3 hours
Serves 10 – 12
Raspberry Pink Velvet Cake
- Cooking Spray
- 3 cups Cake Flour, spooned and levelled, plus more for pans
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 4 cups fresh Raspberries, divided, plus more for decorating
- 4 large Eggs
- 2 tsp pure Vanilla Extract
- ¾ cup Buttermilk
- 3 drops Pink Food Colouring, optional
- 3 tbsp Seedless Raspberry Preserves
- Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- Meringue Kisses and edible Flowers, for decorating
Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup (1 stick) Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 4 oz (120ml) Cream Cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ cup fresh Raspberries
- 1 tsp pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- 3 cups Confectioners’ Sugar (Icing Sugar)
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Grease and flour 3 (8-inch) cake pans. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar on medium speed with an electric mixer until light and creamy for 1 to 2 minutes. Add 1 cup raspberries and beat until smooth for 15 to 20 seconds. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until blended after each addition (mixture will look curdled). Beat in vanilla. Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in flour mixture and buttermilk alternatively, beginning and ending with flour mixture, just until flour is incorporated. Mix in food colouring, if desired. Divide batter among prepared pans.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean, 23 to 25 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes, then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Toss together preserves and remaining 3 cups raspberries in a bowl. Place one layer on a cake plate and top with ½ of the preserve mixture; repeat one more time. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with frosting. Decorate with meringue kisses, edible flowers, and raspberries.
- To make the frosting, beat butter and cream cheese on medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Beat in raspberries, vanilla, and salt, until raspberries are broken down, 15 to 20 seconds. Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add confectioners’ sugar until blended and smooth after each addition, 45 seconds to 1 minute.