Source: Country Living
Prep + Cook Time: 3 hours 25 minutes
- 2½ cups All-purpose Flour, spooned and levelled, plus 3 tablespoons, divided, plus more for work surface
- 1½ tsp Kosher Salt, plus a pinch, divided
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold Unsalted Butter, cut into pieces.
- 6 to 10 tablespoons Ice Water
- 5 tbsp granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 340g fresh Strawberries, hulled and sliced (2 cups)
- 180g fresh or frozen Rhubarb, sliced (1¼ cups)
- 1 large Egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp Demerara Sugar
- 1½ tbsp Strawberry Jelly, melted
- Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Pulse 2½ cups flour and 1½ teaspoons salt in a food processor until combined, 1 or 2 times. Add butter and pulse until butter is the size of peas, 8 to 10 times. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Add 6 tablespoons of ice water and stir with your fingertips until no dry patches of flour remain and dough holds together when squeezed (add additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed). Divide dough in half; flatten halves into disks, and wrap in plastic. Chill at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Working with one disk at a time, roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness on a floured surface. Cut out 5 rounds, using a 5-inch round cookie cutter, rerolling scraps once, if necessary. Repeat with second disk. Transfer rounds to prepared baking sheets; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Whisk together granulated sugar, lemon zest, remaining 3 tablespoons flour, and remaining pinch salt in a bowl. Add strawberries and rhubarb; toss to coat. Spoon filling into centre of dough rounds (about ¼ cup each), leaving a ¾-inch border. Brush edges of dough with egg. Fold dough onto filling, overlapping it as you go. Lightly brush dough with egg; sprinkle with demerara sugar, dividing evenly. Freeze 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C with oven rack in lowest position. Bake until golden brown and filling is bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes. Brush fruit with jelly. Serve warm or at room temperature.